Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

Matt Oliver trauma-list@trauma.org
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:05:20 +0930

As long as the patient isn't completely zonked out and anaesthetised it
makes no difference to one's assessment, in fact it helps by calming
them down a bit. Anyone who is still debating this obviously doesn't
examine very many acute abdomens!!

Matt Oliver
Broken Hill

In my admitted ignorance, I'm puzzled as to why Narcan can't be used to
temporarily negate the effects of narcotic analgesics for the brief
when a surgeon needs to have the patient's true pain level present to
accurately assess an abdominal injury. Isn't that win/win for patients
who are in pain and must wait for attention (perhaps for hours) yet can
present s/s faithfully to the diagnosing physician during the assessment
(perhaps minutes)? Please educate EMT Trauma educator. My students and I
await enlightenment.