Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

Martyn Hodson trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:10:26 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "ARUNI SEN" <ARUNI.SEN@new-tr.wales.nhs.uk>
To: <trauma-list@trauma.org>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 8:47 AM
Subject: RE: Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

This appears to be the fundamental problem. Use of morphine is equated to
narcosis which may impair clinical assessment.

The truth is elsewhere. Opiate is the best analgesia which CAN well be
achieved WITHOUT narcosis. Perfect analgesia is good for assessment,
physiologically sound, humane and causes NO confusion - for trauma and
anything else.

This is my experience since 1984.
Aruni Sen

I have to agree with you there ?

exactly how much analgesia do these 'idiots' proposing that we in emergency
depts  leave patients in pain because they want to have the patient 'as
presented' when they deign to do their 'prodding and poking' think we give ?

producing Narcosis as said above is not the aim of analgesia - good
analgesia should reduce or eliminate pain with the minimum effect on other
signs or functions

Martyn

---