Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

ARUNI SEN trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:47:09 +0100

This appears to be the fundamental problem. Use of morphine is equated =
to narcosis which may impair clinical assessment.=20

The truth is elsewhere. Opiate is the best analgesia which CAN well be =
achieved WITHOUT narcosis. Perfect analgesia is good for assessment, =
physiologically sound, humane and causes NO confusion - for trauma and =
anything else.=20

This is my experience since 1984.
Aruni Sen
MS FRCS FFAEM
Consultant in Emergency Medicine
Maelor Hospital; North East Wales NHS Trust
Wrexham LL13 7TD, UK.
Tel 01978 725555 / 725498 (secy)
Fax 01978 725168
Mobile 07931 542759 ; Pager 07625 618656