GSW to abdomen

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:19:30 -0400

In a message dated 4/7/2003 10:09:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, azonic75@yahoo.com writes:

> Thanks for your comments......Packing/stapling and
> going to the ICU was my preference.....we a tough time
> controlling the vascular injuries with packing alone,
> fluids being given by anaethesia were cold in spite of
> our objections, temp around 34C, pH <7.2, clear
> coagulopathy.....it served as a good, but unfortunate
> example of both surgical inexperience and hospital
> system problems. Hopefully we all can learn something

Uhhhhh...
Of course you can't pack "surgical" vascular injuries as you had to the iliac vessels!  Surgical bleeding like this to major arteries must be addressed, altho still should not take more than a few minutes.  Both veins and arteries can be ligated, or vains ligated and artery shunted, as was mentioned in a prior post--in either case, a 10 minute deal.
ERF