Trauma destination legislation

Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:58:25 -0500

Seems as if the law eliminates some flexibility that might work in the
patient's best interest. Does "major trauma victim" include those who
meet mechanism criteria only?

How does informed consent work there? You may be seen in a hospital, but
ONLY those that are approved. If you wish to be seen in another hospital
you shall not go by ambulance.

If you are taken to another hospital and there is any complication this
is entirely on EMS and medical command (since any input from the patient
is clearly a violation of the State Code of Regulations).

Trauma triage criteria are expected to overtriage to the trauma center.
Why not allow the patient to have some input in their care (other than
the all or nothing option)? Will the alert and oriented patient be
expected to give informed consent in the hospital?

Limiting options in patient care does not sound like good patient care.

What if they want to bypass Eden to got to Highland?

Tim Noonan.