Trauma destination legislation

caesar ursic trauma-list@trauma.org
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:41:47 -0800 (PST)

In California it is written into state law that
patients meeting regional EMS "major trauma victim"
criteria be transported to the nearest designated
trauma center whenever possible.  I believe it's
covered under Title 22 of the State Code of
Regulations.  Neither family nor patient have the
authority to divert the ambulance anywhere else,
unless they refuse transport altogether.

C.M. Ursic, M.D.
Dept. of Surgery
UCSF-East Bay
Oakland, California