Trauma destination legislation

Hays-Moore, Patricia C. trauma-list@trauma.org
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:40:51 -0600

Please call me and I'll share with you some information about Oklahoma
trauma system development, our state legislated manadatory, inclusive
system, our triage, transport and transfer guidelines and our discussions
with EMTLA regarding your type of scenario in Oklahoma.  I'll also refer you
to other involved parties here to help fill in any gaps that I can't

PatC. Hays-Moore
State Trauma Registrar
Oklahoma State Dept. Health

-----Original Message-----
From: medic245@mindspring.com [mailto:medic245@mindspring.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 3:58 PM
To: trauma-list@trauma.org
Subject: Trauma destination legislation

Does anyone have knowledge of legislation that provides legal protection to
prehospital crews that transport trauma victims to trauma hospitals
despite wishes to the contrary by family?

Scenario:  Prehospital crew responds to trauma victim (MVC rollover,
unrestrained, positive loss of consciousness, possible hemothorax, varied
minor injuries.  Hemodynamically unstable, GCS = 13.)  Family on scene
requests crew take patient to small, community hospital, while paramedics
the patient should be at regional trauma center.  Transport times are
nearly equal.  Despite efforts to explain the need for trauma center
capabilities, family does not agree to decision.

1.  Where does the patient go?
2.  Should the EMS crew take to trauma center?
3.  Legal ramifications for either decision?
4.  Anyone have state regulations that cover the gluteus maximus of the
medics IF they were to transport to the trauma center (what is to prevent a
"kidnapping/false imprisonment" charges?)

Any/all input is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Brosius,
Paramedic, etc.
Atlanta, GA