"No So FAST"

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:56:14 EST

--part1_3c.2dd61960.2bba59ce_boundary

In a message dated 3/31/2003 8:41:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cmursic@yahoo.com writes:

> Sorry, I wasn't aware that you had already discussed
> this particular article.  I must have accidentally
> deleted that post.  But my point is that there is
> little data out there to support using FAST in the
> stable blunt trauma patient.  The fact that it is used
> for such in some centers doesn't seem, at least to me,
> to vindicate its utility.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong.

Actually, your opinion, and the AAST paper, reflect an increasing
disilusionment with this modality--we may very well be witnessing the
beginnings of a reverse swing of the pendulum on FAST.  With the new
generation CT scaners coming out, FAST may very well be going the way of DPL
in the next few years.  Remember that FAST originated in Germany in the
1980's when they did not have CT widely available
ERF

--part1_3c.2dd61960.2bba59ce_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 3/31/2003 8:41:53 PM Eastern Standa=
rd Time, cmursic@yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Sorry, I wasn't aware that you=20=
had already discussed<BR>
this particular article.&nbsp; I must have accidentally<BR>
deleted that post.&nbsp; But my point is that there is<BR>
little data out there to support using FAST in the<BR>
stable blunt trauma patient.&nbsp; The fact that it is used<BR>
for such in some centers doesn't seem, at least to me,<BR>
to vindicate its utility.<BR>
<BR>
Of course, I could be wrong.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Actually, your opinion, and the AAST paper, reflect an increasing disilusion=
ment with this modality--we may very well be witnessing the beginnings of a=20=
reverse swing of the pendulum on FAST.&nbsp; With the new generation CT scan=
ers coming out, FAST may very well be going the way of DPL in the next few y=
ears.&nbsp; Remember that FAST originated in Germany in the 1980's when they=
 did not have CT widely available<BR>
ERF</FONT></HTML>

--part1_3c.2dd61960.2bba59ce_boundary--