"No So FAST"

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:26:11 EST

--part1_112.20f916bb.2bba2893_boundary

In a message dated 3/31/2003 4:11:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
zavy@whidbey.net writes:

> An interesting article that discusses the use of the
> >FAST exam in stable blunt trauma patients appeared in
> >the January issue of Journal of Trauma.  This study
> >concluded that FAST underdiagnosed important injuries
> >and therefore should NOT be used if the patient is
> >stable and can go to the CT scanner.

Interestingly Caesar, you  failed to mention the discussion of that paper by
Grace Rozycki showing how the underlying presumption of that paper was
fllawed--that is, FAST was never MEANT to diagnose solid organ injuries
(which is what the study defined as underdiagnosis).  If you attribute
qualities to a test it never did have, of course you wil always make a case
of "underdiagnosis".  This is the same study I referred to at the beginning
of this discussion
ERF

--part1_112.20f916bb.2bba2893_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 3/31/2003 4:11:40 PM Eastern Standa=
rd Time, zavy@whidbey.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">An interesting article that dis=
cusses the use of the<BR>
&gt;FAST exam in stable blunt trauma patients appeared in<BR>
&gt;the January issue of Journal of Trauma.&nbsp; This study<BR>
&gt;concluded that FAST underdiagnosed important injuries<BR>
&gt;and therefore should NOT be used if the patient is<BR>
&gt;stable and can go to the CT scanner.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Interestingly Caesar, you&nbsp; failed to mention the discussion of that pap=
er by Grace Rozycki showing how the underlying presumption of that paper was=
 fllawed--that is, FAST was never MEANT to diagnose solid organ injuries (wh=
ich is what the study defined as underdiagnosis).&nbsp; If you attribute qua=
lities to a test it never did have, of course you wil always make a case of=20=
"underdiagnosis".&nbsp; This is the same study I referred to at the beginnin=
g of this discussion<BR>
ERF</FONT></HTML>

--part1_112.20f916bb.2bba2893_boundary--