Helicopter landing pad

Dunn Matthew Dr. (RJC) ACCIDENT & EMERGENCY - SwarkHosp-TR trauma-list@trauma.org
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:37:22 +0100

> Does anyone have any good references with
> information (articles, publications,etc)
> regarding prehospital times and its effect on
> patient outcome.
>
> In particular, any information regarding the need
> to have the helicopter landing pad within the
> closest proximity to the Emergency Department.
>
> I know it sounds logical and obvious but I am at
> present battling it out with our bureaucrats and
> administrators to prevent them moving our landing
> pad from 90 secs away to 5-10 mins away down the
> road. Incidently this has been decided to the
> exclusion of any clinicians.
>
> Anything to help me win this battle would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Dr Valerie Malka M.D
> Director of Trauma Services
> Westmead Hospital
> Westmead, Sydney

Possibly a bit peripheral, but at the last AAST meeting in Washington there
was an oral presentation (I didn't go, just read the abstract:

TIME TO LAPAROTOMY FOR INTRA-ABDOMINAL BLEEDING FROM TRAUMA DOES AFFECT
SURVIVAL FOR DELAYS UP TO 90 MINUTES. John R. Clarke, MD, Stanley Z.
Trooskin, MD, Prashant J. Doshi, B.S., Lloyd Greenwald, Ph.D., Charles J.
Mode, Ph.D.
Within the first 90 minutes of arrival, delays in operation increased
mortality by up to 1.2% per minute. It may not be too much of an
extrapolation to say that moving you pad will have the same effect.

Matt Dunn
Warwick

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI AVD however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.