Advice on nursing

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:50:34 EDT

--part1_fb.2836bad2.2a4a5bca_boundary

I just graduated from an associate school and recieved my RN.  I found a
position in the ER as a new grad without a problem.  I am currently working
in a trauma hospital on the south side of chicago and loving it.  My back
ground...EMT basic on a fire department and also with a private service.  On
the AAS verses BA, there is more time spent on management classes and you
will not have as much clinical experience.  My own personal thoughts were to
finish up my AAS and then let the hospital pay for the rest of it.  The pay
difference in Illinois for the two degrees is about 0.50 to $1.00 more per
hour.  Also they are more likely to put you into a manager's position faster
which I am less interested in right now.  I would like to handle the trauma's
than just supervise them.  I would say go for the associates and stay working
in the hospital where you will be able to learn, it will help you in your
studies.

good luck

christine

--part1_fb.2836bad2.2a4a5bca_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  SIZE=2>I just graduated from an associate school and recieved my RN. &nbsp;I found a position in the ER as a new grad without a problem. &nbsp;I am currently working in a trauma hospital on the south side of chicago and loving it. &nbsp;My back ground...EMT basic on a fire department and also with a private service. &nbsp;On the AAS verses BA, there is more time spent on management classes and you will not have as much clinical experience. &nbsp;My own personal thoughts were to finish up my AAS and then let the hospital pay for the rest of it. &nbsp;The pay difference in Illinois for the two degrees is about 0.50 to $1.00 more per hour. &nbsp;Also they are more likely to put you into a manager's position faster which I am less interested in right now. &nbsp;I would like to handle the trauma's than just supervise them. &nbsp;I would say go for the associates and stay working in the hospital where you will be able to learn, it will help you in your studies.
<BR>
<BR>good luck
<BR>
<BR>christine