Long working hours

Enid and Adam Robinson trauma-list@trauma.org
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:00:19 +1000

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C21C37.7E9EA3A0

Matt,

Have a look at the Award - I think you'll find your management was way =
out of line.  I live in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, and as many =
may have heard on the news over Christmas, we had some pretty bad fires =
up here over Christmas and New Year.  Our house backs onto the National =
Park, and on Christmas Day we were threatened.  I was rostered onto a =
Night shift on Christmas night, and at 1600hrs we had fires on the ridge =
2kms to the back of us and approx the same out the front.  The Great =
Western Highway was closed due to the fires and the only way I could get =
to work was through the Hawkesbury (also threatened) about two hours =
drive.  The local bushfire brigade advised us to stay with our house as =
we may have to evacuate through the night.  I rang my management to tell =
them I wouldn't be able to come to work - I don't mind a two hour drive =
to work, but what if all routes to the Mountains were cut and I couldn't =
get home to my family.  And how could I leave my husband to get our four =
children and animals out by himself??  I would have been furious if he =
had left me in that situation to go to work.  My managements response =
was she couldn't replace me on Christmas night, so she expected me to =
turn up.  I rang another senior person and didn't go to work.  On Boxing =
Day (I was rostered on another Night) our village lost a large number of =
houses between 0900hr and 1300hrs.  I had spent most of the night and =
all Boxing Day helping our community protect our houses.  I rang work at =
1000hrs and the manager (someone different) had already anticipated me =
not working, and told me he had replaced me on the roster already, not =
to worry - just look after my family.  When I finally did get back to =
work my NUM tells me that management has no right to question why I am =
cancelling a shift.

The point of this long story is that I love my job, but my health and my =
family come first.  Your colleague is not paid to burn him/herself out =
because your management has staffing issues.   There will always be =
patients to be looked after - it is not humanly possible to work 24 hrs =
a day.  I fulfill my  responsibility to my employer by turning up for my =
rostered duty and doing extra when able, I fulfill my responsibility to =
my patients by giving my very best nursing care, I fulfill my =
responsibility to my profession through my activities as a CNS - and =
somewhere in all this I have to have time to be a wife, mother and =
daughter, sister and friend or else I will be a very lonely person.

Enid, CNS,
Blacktown Hospital
Emergency Department.
  ----- Original Message -----=20