Question

Richard Wigle MD FACS trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:26:23 -0700 (PDT)

A question for list members who may have access to better
references than I

For some time now I have been trying to track down
information on a Princess Gedroitz. She was apparently a
Russian aristocrat who, in defiance of her times, went
through medical and surgical training in Germany at the end
of the 19th century. She is noted in the letters of
Alexandria as having cared for the royal children.

She becomes significant in the history of trauma care
during the Russo-Japanese war when she equipped a railroad
car as an OR and took it near the front. Again in defiance
of the dogma of the time, which was non operative
management of abdominal wounds, she operated on these
patients with great success due to her proximity to the
time of injury.

Other than a brief mention in Bailey's Textbook of war
surgery (1942) and the references in the Tsarina's letters,
I am unable to find any other information about her or her
pioneering work- I can't even find birth and death dates. I
have to wonder if she wasn't purged in the 1917 revolution.

Anyway if anyone on the list has or finds any information
on her I'd be most appreciative

Dick Wigle
LTC USMAC