Residency Hours

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:03:58 EDT

We must be very very careful that the data does not get distorted during this
debate.  I have read with concern the repeated referal to 36 hours straight
without sleep.   I heard Diane Sawyer on Good Morning interview someone who
referred to 48 hours and one reference to 90 hours at a stretch.   I simply
do not know where they get these figures.  I am in a very busy hospital where
we have long work hours, BUT.....

Virtaully everyone gets sleep virtually every night on call.  Sometimes the
call nights are very light and the resident either gets 6-8 hours sleep, or
chooses to read a book or watch TV.     For decades, I have heard it
admonished that the surgeon eats when he/she can and sleeps every chance one
gets.   That is true even for a faculty who has been around for many decades.
  I often do not eat lunch, but my overweight body appreciates seeing less
calories.  Let us be very sure that the public is not exposed to the wrong
data and therefore makes the wrong conclusion.

I would be interested to know from the readers of these lists, just how many
hours of rest are obtained during a routine call duty time and what is the
duty time of the readers?