Quality Surgery Residency

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:57:53 EDT

Mr. Kundi:

Congratulations on your thoughtful post.   Let me assure you that surgical
residencies exist that respect your need for life style, but still are
dedicated to the discipline that a surgery career represents.   Please
consider Baylor College of Medicine.   It is steeped in tradition of creating
master surgeons, and ones whose very being is committed to taking care of the
sickest of the sick.  There remain persons who want to be "top gun,"  "top
knife",   "top sportsman,"  "top musician" or whatever is the pinnacle of a
discipline.

There will always be those who either jealous or envious of this top
position, and others from regulatory agencies who wish to create compromises
and mediocrity, for what ever (and often the wrong) reason.    It is not
about the hours, and I agree that treating any living thing inhumanely is
wrong, it is about the product.   There will always be people who require a
surgical approach to problem solving of health issues.   There will always be
patients who seek out the best of the best.   I trust that you will be one of
those.  We would be honored to position you to achieve your vision.

Kenneth L. Mattox, MD
Baylor College of Medicine