24/10/80 hour rules of ACGME

Dean Lutrin trauma-list@trauma.org
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:28:49 +0200

South Africa is one place where the surgical registrars have
traditionally worked bizarre hours. Personally, I think it is a good
thing to have surgical trainees working very long hours. The benefits
need not be individually listed. What bothers me is the registrars being
treated like slaves and the more senior they get the worse it gets. We
have reached the situation where the guys are not passing the final
surgical exams on multiple attempts for lack of sufficient time to study
and recuperate from calls. These long hours and masses of patients
appear to me to be to the detriment of the trainees' academic
advancement. Surely it is not fair to be having to do a call every third
night in the weeks before final exams. I don't know if the same thing is
happening in other countries but my impression is that some senior
residents are paying one hell of a price.

Dean Lutrin
Johannesburg