Surgical Practice Code of Conduct

stephanie staford trauma-list@trauma.org
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 05:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

--0-308108953-1024143304=:89418

stop the fight between doctors and nurses. it is a boring online as it is in real life

  DocRickFry@aol.com wrote: In a message dated Wed, 12 Jun 2002 1:11:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pbjorn@emh.org writes:

> I suppose you'd recommend the ground rules be written by the Director, and
> surely she'll be responsible for the final version; but at the moment,
> tracking down boiler plates isn't the sort of task I'd force on her.
> Dedicated, dutiful, protective Pret. Sam Gamgee, RN.
>
> Begs the question: how WOULD it happen in your neck of the
> woods?

Pret--
A thought occurred to me while reading this--do your nurses have a written code of conduct? If not, why not? In that case I suppose nurses are not subject to poor professional ethics, interpersonal skills, chart delinquencies, etc, or are those not as important to nursing?
If there is such a written code for nurses--who wrote that? By your reasoning, doctors should be writing those, no?
Please think about these points in all seriousness--I think you are going down a dangerous road, Codes of conduct and behavior are quite important--but they should be equally applied to ALL health care workers who come in contact with the public and patients--to single out one part of the team to the exclusion of others makes your bias quite transparent and obvious. I am surprised you did not get this point in Dr. Civil's question
ERF