24/10/80 hour rules of ACGME

stephanie staford trauma-list@trauma.org
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 05:00:30 -0700 (PDT)

--0-962248145-1024142430=:28049

do hospitals really comply with these rules?  how are they policed?  would be nice here in america, but do not see how you can enforce.  as a surgery resident, our representative for each year signed a document stating that we would not work more than 80 hours a week.  what a sham.  of course we did and no one complained.  it would be unseemly for a surgery resident to complain for working a 120 hours week.  seen as wimpy or something.
stephanie

  Timothy J Coats <t.j.coats@qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
> We need to ensure those involved in training and service provision in
> surgery are aware of worldwide trends and approaches to the issues
> which is where trauma.org has huge relevance.
>
> Whats the UK view? What about Europe? What happens in Asia, or South
> America.
Ian,
The UK has a limit on working time that is common throught the
European Union (EU Working Time Directive). Our trainees are
currently limited to an average 56 hours a week, in a complex system
that also has limits of maximum duty periods (16 hours), minimum
amount of rest between duty periods, maximum amount of work that
can be at 'anti-social hours' (30%) etc. This maximum limit will go
down to 48 hours a week from 1st December 2002. If a training post
does not comply to these rules there is a large increase in salary
(100% or more) for the trainee (making them earn more than me - but
I'm not bitter!!!). The extra percentage is rising with time to make non-
compliant posts financially untenable for hospitals.

A new contract for consultants has just been announced in the UK
around a 40 hour week (night time/weekend resident is included in the
40 hours, night time/weekend 'on call' from home is in addition to
40hrs).

If anything the training time is being shortened in the UK due to our
urgent need for thousands of new doctors. (with proposals for the
current 7 or 8 year postgraduate training being reduced to 5 or 6).

Shorter training and half or a third of the hours - difficult to see how
high levels of technical expertise or experience will be accumulated.
(See the Royal College of Surgeons of England website for a
discussion of the severe problems that these issues bring up for
surgical training).

Seems like a world-wide issue.

Tim.

Timothy J Coats MD FRCS FFAEM
Senior Lecturer in Accident and Emergency / Pre-Hospital Care
Royal London Hospital, UK.