"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned"

Bjorn, Pret trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:28:01 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C213B8.11A98DF0

Dr. Mattox,

Well said... and your capacity to resist addressing God as a peer was not
lost on me.  :)

Bureaucracy is the mother of indigestion.  So it is, so it shall always be.

Pret Bjorn, RN, etc.
Bangor, ME

-----Original Message-----
From: KMATTOX@aol.com [  <mailto:KMATTOX@aol.com> mailto:KMATTOX@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 10:41 AM
To: trauma-l@lists.aast.org; trauma-list@trauma.org; ccm-l@list.pitt.edu
Subject: "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned"

In front of me are a number of regulatory documents:

EMTALA
HCFA
JCAHO
Surgery RRC
American Board of Surgery Requirements
ACGME regulations
Amer Col of Surgeons Committee on Trauma-Verification Documents
and at least 6 others.

These regulatory and quasi regulatory documents govern how we each practice
medicine.   I am really confused.  If I abide by one set of regulations I
have violated the rules for another.  If I abide by the state laws, I
violate
federal laws.   In addition, I have moral and ethical mandates for how I
treat a patient and professional liability issues regarding abandonment and
continuity of care.   I am now in a situation that I cannot avoid breaking
some law or regulation.   My professional organizations, and my government
have put me into a situation, that if I do my very best, I am assured to
break some law.  Just take your pick and decide which violation you are
going
to slap me with.   This stack of regulations has made me into a criminal or
sinner.   I now must decide which sin you can accuse me of committing.   I
either STOP treating patients, educating residents and students altogether,
or violate many regulations, while abiding by others.   Catch 22.  "Forgive
me Father, for I have sinned, and will continue to sin as long as I abide by
your will."

------_=_NextPart_001_01C213B8.11A98DF0

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT color=#800000>Dr. Mattox,<BR><BR>Well said...
and your capacity to resist addressing God as a peer was not lost on me.&nbsp;
:)<BR><BR>Bureaucracy is the mother of indigestion.&nbsp; So it is, so it shall
always be.<BR><BR>Pret Bjorn, RN, etc.<BR>Bangor, ME</FONT></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From:
KMATTOX@aol.com [</FONT><A href="mailto:KMATTOX@aol.com"><FONT face=Arial
size=2>mailto:KMATTOX@aol.com</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2>]<BR>Sent:
Friday, June 14, 2002 10:41 AM<BR>To: trauma-l@lists.aast.org;
trauma-list@trauma.org; ccm-l@list.pitt.edu<BR>Subject: "Forgive me Father, for
I have sinned"<BR><BR><BR>In front of me are a number of regulatory
documents:<BR><BR>EMTALA<BR>HCFA<BR>JCAHO<BR>Surgery RRC<BR>American Board of
Surgery Requirements<BR>ACGME regulations<BR>Amer Col of Surgeons Committee on
Trauma-Verification Documents<BR>and at least 6 others.<BR><BR>These regulatory
and quasi regulatory documents govern how we each
practice<BR>medicine.&nbsp;&nbsp; I am really confused.&nbsp; If I abide by one
set of regulations I<BR>have violated the rules for another.&nbsp; If I abide by
the state laws, I violate<BR>federal laws.&nbsp;&nbsp; In addition, I have moral
and ethical mandates for how I<BR>treat a patient and professional liability
issues regarding abandonment and<BR>continuity of care.&nbsp;&nbsp; I am now in
a situation that I cannot avoid breaking<BR>some law or regulation.&nbsp;&nbsp;
My professional organizations, and my government<BR>have put me into a
situation, that if I do my very best, I am assured to<BR>break some law.&nbsp;
Just take your pick and decide which violation you are going<BR>to slap me
with.&nbsp;&nbsp; This stack of regulations has made me into a criminal or
a<BR>sinner.&nbsp;&nbsp; I now must decide which sin you can accuse me of
committing.&nbsp;&nbsp; I<BR>either STOP treating patients, educating residents
and students altogether,<BR>or violate many regulations, while abiding by
others.&nbsp;&nbsp; Catch 22.&nbsp; "Forgive<BR>me Father, for I have sinned,
and will continue to sin as long as I abide by<BR>your
will."<BR><BR>k<BR><BR>--<BR>trauma-list : TRAUMA.ORG<BR>To change your settings
or unsubscribe visit:<BR></FONT><A href=http://www.trauma.org/index.php/community/list/url/http:list.ftech.net/pipermail/trauma-list/2002-June/"http://www.trauma.org/traumalist.html"
target=_blank><FONT face=Arial
size=2>http://www.trauma.org/traumalist.html</FONT></A><BR></P></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C213B8.11A98DF0--