First Offence? Crucifixian. - Line on the left, one cross each .. .

Cotton, Chris (SAAS) trauma-list@trauma.org
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:55:33 +0930

Dave wrote:

Of course, all other arguments aside, there is one that is
> > irrefutable.
> > of
No
> > offense

And from me...

Spoken like a true policeman, David. Take that whichever way you will; and
that's not necessarily meant with a negative connotation. No one would
expect anything different from someone in your position. If laws are thought
necessary to be changed, then they should be targeted at the appropriate
level - and that is via Parliament (or your equivalent).

Okay, let's step this a little further. Someone comes in to do a shift  and
you suspect they are currently effected by marijuana, alcohol or whatever.
So, if i understand you correctly, in your police dept the offender would be
instantly dismissed if proven guilty by whatever tests you employ.

This then, as i see it opens up another cascade.

Is it right to perform a ritual dismissal for a first-time ill judgement?
Isn't that a bit like "...Oh, you'll probably get away with crucifixion -
first offence!" Maybe when you are talking about such a big department, that
is entirely appropriate.

Does anyone see any value in counceling first, followed by a support program
for those who are misguided enough to come in to work affected by their
potions? Or do you just say ... "bad luck - there's the door"? Does that
create some moral dilemmas for listers?

Could this be seen as shifting the problem? Why suggest moving this away
from the trauma forum? Do we think these issues aren't applicable to trauma
workers? Is it too difficult or controversial to discuss?

Chris Cotton,
Intensive Care Paramedic.
South Australia.