Drug (ab)use in Medicine?

Thomas Anthony Horan trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 07:39:37 -0300

Dear Dave,=20

Your response as I interpret it is no, i.e. there are no random
breathalyzers. The rationale you cite is based on faulty law not =
medicine
nor good sense. Random "smelling" is not the same as random testing.

	"Reporting to work while under the influence is certainly an
exercise of
> bad judgment."  =20
>=20
Although alcohol is legal with in limits, it is more than bad judgment =
to be
drunk on the job. You departmental standards and your defense of them
demonstrate a distinct lack of appreciation of the danger to the =
public. The
issue is not the laws, but a failure of rational response to the most =
common
intoxicant threat to public well being from alcohol.

Yours truly
Tom
> ----------

Lets
> get
> > > that into perspective!!
> > >
> > > Andy,
> > >
> > > I want to move to wherever you live.  Here, I see those two =
things
> > > weekly, some weeks daily.
> > >
> > > I've made 30 or so DUI arrests this year (I'm a full-time police
> > > sergeant in Philadelphia).  In 13 of those cases, marijuana has =
been
> the
> > > intoxicant.  Of those 13, 5 have involved accidents with =
injuries.
> You
> > > don't even want to know the number of assaults I've handled where
> > > marijuana has been a factor.
> > >
> > > The notion that marijuana is a harmless, or less-harmful, drug is =
> > > fallacy.
> > >
> > > Of course, all other arguments aside, there is one that is
> irrefutable.
> > > Marijuana is illegal in my neck of the woods.  Those in a =
position
> of
> > > public trust cannot fail to abide by the law and expect to =
maintain
> > > their positions.  By way of example, if you get caught using in =
my
> > > service (and we do frequent, random drug testing) you're fired.  =
No