Drug (ab)use in Medicine?

Dave Adler EMT-P trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:01:43 -0400

There are several laws I personally don't agree with, though for obvious
reasons I won't list them here.  They range in severity from citations
to felonies, and in general are mala prohibitum in nature.  However,
I've cited and arrested those who violated those particular statutes.
I'll continue to do so.

In short, I don't have to agree in substance or in theory with every
law.  What I have to do is enforce it, and let the system work.  What
you, and every other citizen in a civilized world, must do is obey it
until such change as you can exercise lawful methods to have the statute
stricken.  If I wanted to write the laws, my signature file would read
Senator instead of Sergeant or EMT-P.

You doubt marijuana is the reason someone snaps?  Perhaps, if it's pure
marijuana.  Of course, that's the big problem with street drugs, isn't
it?  Purity is never assured, nor is the exact composition of the drug
known.  However, I'll say this- while there certainly may be another
reason for a marijuana user to become assaultive other than simply their
THC level, it's certainly a contributing factor since it affects

Dave Adler, EMT-P
Editor, Prehospital Perspective Magazine