Drug (ab)use in Medicine?

Dave Adler EMT-P trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:41:04 -0400

Since you asked- if I smell alcohol on one of my officers, I can order a
breathalyzer per policy.  If it's positive, he'll certainly be
suspended, and possibly fired.  If he's been driving, and he's over the
limit he'll be charged.

However, it's important to draw a distinction here- alcohol is legal.
Reporting to work while under the influence is certainly an exercise of
bad judgment.  Marijuana is illegal, and possessing or using it isn't
simply bad judgment it's a crime.  Big difference.

Dave Adler, EMT-P
Editor, Prehospital Perspective Magazine
www.prehospital-perspective.com
adler@prehospital-perspective.com=20
=20
=20