Head Blocks

Steven Wright trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:48:36 +0930

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C21217.DDD13BA0

Lachlan Wiedersehn asked  For Steve, when you say you do not strap
patients to full length backboards, isn't immobilisation about
restricting movement not stopping it? Could you expand on why such
practices are used. What are your thoughts on the use use of the vacuum
mattress?

Lachlan, Spine boards cause pressure sores even with limited use times
and as we are all aware, many places have either long transport times or
delays in movement off of the board.  By placement onto the stretcher
mattress, the movement is restricted and mostly stopping any movement it
can. Also pressure problems are eliminated.

I am a firm believer in vacuum mattresses but they are bulky for
everyday transport and thus are not routinely used. Certainly if we had
more room on the trucks, they should be used.

Steve Wright

-- trauma-list : TRAUMA.ORG To change your settings or unsubscribe
visit: http://www.trauma.org/traumalist.html

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C21217.DDD13BA0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Estrangelo Edessa";}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
	{margin-right:0cm;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
@page Section1
	{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;
	margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>Lachlan
Wiedersehn asked &nbsp;For Steve, when you say you do not strap patients =
full length backboards, isn't immobilisation about restricting movement =
not
stopping it? Could you expand on why such practices are used. What are =
your

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:
 Arial;color:navy'>Lachlan</span></font><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>, Spine boards =
cause pressure
sores even with limited use times and as we are all aware, many places =
have
either long transport times or delays in movement off of the board. =
&nbsp;By
placement onto the stretcher mattress, the movement is restricted and =
mostly stopping
any movement it can. Also pressure problems are =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:
Arial;color:navy'>I am a firm believer in vacuum mattresses but they are =
bulky
for everyday transport and thus are not routinely used. Certainly if we =
had

style=3D'font-size:

New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:navy;font-weight:bold'>Steve =

face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =