Drug (ab)use in Medicine?

Camille and Matt trauma-list@trauma.org
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:11:29 +0930

HI All,
The community that I work in has problems with alcohol, marihuana, and
solvent inhalation. We are technically a 'dry' community. Alcohol causes the
most injury due to physical violence and the most worry for us when we have
to attend to the cuts and bruises as people seem to be more violent when
drunk. Those how take the wicked weed seem to have more phsychosis, florid
and otherwise. Usually this wears off and apart from worrying that they are
going to run into the bush and do themselves some harm tend not to cause us
too much grief. Solvent inhalation causes short term and long term illnesses
related to lead ingestion and physchosis (The desired effect). The
pyshchosis appears mild and apart from destroying their bodies cause us few
problems.
Me, as the health worker needing to release a little stress? Nearest cold
beer is two and a half hours away and I don't smoke, so I take my swag and
go bush for a night or two. There is nothing like being in the middle of
nowhere by yourself looking up in to the vastness of the univerese and
realising that there are many people who are a lot worse off than me.
To those that use any chemical to relax, be careful that it doesn't get the
better of you, I have had too many close friends and workmates who have.
Take care
Matt Mason
Remote Nurse
Central Australia