Cervical Immobilisation Device (Head Blocks)

Jeffery D. Anderson trauma-list@trauma.org
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:05:26 -0600

In 1994 the American Red Cross stopped teaching the use of cervical collars
to it's lifeguard students.  Lifeguards are taught to secure the victim to a
long spine board and use a commercial head immobilizer to secure the head.
I'm not sure why they decided not to teach cervical collar use, the textbook
doesn't say anything against it.  I'm assuming that they were trying to
simplify the procedure for their teenage audience, but that is just a guess.

You might want to look at the United States Lifesaving Associations Manual
of Open Water Lifesaving and the American Red Cross's Lifeguard Training
textbook for more information.