Head Blocks

stephanie staford trauma-list@trauma.org
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 05:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

--0-847093237-1023798937=:58015

ok, now have idea.  we used them but under different name.  thanks for clarification
stephanie
  Lachlan Wiedersehn <wddezign@hotmail.com> wrote:
Stephanie,

Head Blocks/Head Bed/Head Immobiliser devices are essentially foam blocks which are designed to secure the head and the neck. There purpose is to free an attendant from having to continue manual Inline Support. They consist of a base plate which connects to your backboard, firm foam blocks on eacj side of the head and straps which run over the forehead and the chin. (look also at www.ferno.com)

Their use as I have enquired is questionable. Though I might point out that studies have been conducted that show they restrict movement between 58% -64% (Houghton. Luke, Driscoll. P, Pre-hospital Immediate Care 1999; 3: 17-21) compared to the cervical collar which restricts movement between 31%  -45%.

As Steve has pointed out, the forces created from the body in what movements are allowed may render the use of such devices unwarranted.

For Steve, when you say you do not strap patients to full length backboards, isn't immobilisation about restricting movement not stopping it? Could you expand on why such practices are used. What are your thoughts on the use use of the vacuum mattress?

-Lachlan Wiedersehn

--0-847093237-1023798937=:58015

<P>ok, now have idea.&nbsp; we used them but under different name.&nbsp; thanks for clarification
<P>stephanie&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>Lachlan Wiedersehn &lt;wddezign@hotmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>
<DIV>
<P>Stephanie,</P>
<P>Head Blocks/Head Bed/Head Immobiliser devices are essentially foam blocks which are designed to secure the head and the neck. There purpose is to free an attendant from having to continue manual Inline Support. They consist of a base plate which connects to your backboard, firm foam blocks on eacj side of the head and straps which run over the forehead and the chin. (look also at <A href=http://www.trauma.org/index.php/community/list/url/http:list.ftech.net/pipermail/trauma-list/2002-June/"http://www.ferno.com/">www.ferno.com</A>)</P>
<P>Their use as I have enquired is questionable. Though I might point out that studies have been conducted that show they restrict movement between 58% -64% (Houghton. Luke, Driscoll. P, Pre-hospital Immediate Care 1999; 3: 17-21) compared to the cervical collar which restricts movement between 31%&nbsp; -45%. </P>
<P>As Steve has pointed out, the forces created from the body in what movements are allowed may render the use of such devices unwarranted. </P>
<P>For Steve, when you say you do not strap patients to full length backboards, isn't immobilisation about restricting movement not stopping it? Could you expand on why such practices are used. What are your thoughts on the use use of the vacuum mattress?</P>
<P>-Lachlan Wiedersehn<BR><BR></P></DIV></DIV><BR clear=all>
<HR>
--0-847093237-1023798937=:58015--