Drug (ab)use in Medicine?

Dave Adler EMT-P trauma-list@trauma.org
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 01:05:18 -0400

Andrew wrote: Never seen anybody injured while fighting with a man on
marijuana, or anyone killed by a man driving his car while 'stoned'.
Seen thousands of people injured or killed because of alcohol. Lets get
that into perspective!!

Andy,

I want to move to wherever you live.  Here, I see those two things
weekly, some weeks daily.

I've made 30 or so DUI arrests this year (I'm a full-time police
sergeant in Philadelphia).  In 13 of those cases, marijuana has been the
intoxicant.  Of those 13, 5 have involved accidents with injuries.  You
don't even want to know the number of assaults I've handled where
marijuana has been a factor.

The notion that marijuana is a harmless, or less-harmful, drug is a
fallacy.

Of course, all other arguments aside, there is one that is irrefutable.
Marijuana is illegal in my neck of the woods.  Those in a position of
public trust cannot fail to abide by the law and expect to maintain
their positions.  By way of example, if you get caught using in my
service (and we do frequent, random drug testing) you're fired.  No
questions asked.  Not to mention that a conviction for a drug offense
can cost someone their license/certification.

Dave Adler, EMT-P
Editor, Prehospital Perspective Magazine
www.prehospital-perspective.com
adler@prehospital-perspective.com