Teenage Drivers

Timothy J Coats trauma-list@trauma.org
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:55:25 BST

It sounds intuative that educating teenagers about driving is a good thing. However,
paradoxically, some programs may be increasing the number of young drivers having
road traffic crashes. The timing of the intervention may be crucial.
A review of the evidence is in the Cochrane Library (http://www.update-
software.com/Cochrane/default.HTM).
To quote the Results:
"The results show that driver education leads to early licensing. They
provide no evidence that driver education reduces road crash involvement,
and suggest that it may lead to a modest but potentially important increase
in the proportion of teenagers involved in traffic crashes."

Basically it seems that early licensing gives a longer period at risk, therefore more
crashes. Last year the UK Government was proposing to give Driver Education to
every 16 year old. It does not seem to make sense to have a public health
intervention which is likely to increase the number of teenagers involved in road
crashes.

Once teenagers have decided to take up driving does education have any benefit -
there seems little evidence that it does. I would suggest that if this was a medical
intervention it would be rated as "For use in controlled trials only".

Tim (rapidly dives for cover).