Helicopter landing pad

Nick Nudell trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:32:12 -0600

Yes I think this is interesting as well.

In my locale, the helicopters (your choice of two) have a minimum ETA of 45
minutes, but is likely to be 50-55 minutes on most occasions. That means the
round trip time will be over 2 hours (50 min X2 +20-30 mins ground time).
For our ground ALS units, our one way time would be about 75-80 minutes for
one facility or about 110 minutes for the other.

So the question is, which is a better option? Quicker time to the tertiary
care facility or less time out of facility? Keep in mind, during ground
transport (on the shorter time transports mentioned above) we are never more
then 15-20 minutes from a small rural hospital (of similar size to the
sending facility and in fact the locum tenem surgeon lives along the way at
about the half way point). If the helicopter was to need to land at a
hospital, it would take some time (perhaps 10-15 minutes) as there is not a
24 hour autonomous landing zone available enroute.

Then also, this begs the question.... is it better to activate the flight
and wait on scene for their arrival or to go enroute to the hospital and
meet them there? In some instances, this would create a shorter flight... in
many others we arrive at the hospital nearly at the same time as the
helicopter. What do you think? Are there studies that you know of regarding
these phenomena?

Kind regards
Nick

____
Nick Nudell, NREMT-P
Education Coordinator
Glacier County EMS
Northern Rockies Medical Center
Cut Bank, MT
nick@glacierems.com
www.glacierems.com

"If you aim at nothing, you are sure to hit your target" -- Unknown