Stress and ATLS

Will Owens trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:01:07 -0400

Well said!  I am currently a resident in Emergency Medicine, and nothing
galls me more than to hear a colleague whining about being "post-call" or
"being slammed" in the ED.  As if this excuses him/her from clinical
responsibility.  Ask anyone on the street--no one will tell you that
medicine is an easy, 9-5 job.  If there is a degree of stress injected into
ACLS/ATLS courses, GOOD!  Someone who spazzes under the pressure of a quiet
simulation will surely spazz when the trauma bay or critical room is loud
and panic is in the air.  The role of the physician is twofold--to make the
decisions that help the patient and to LEAD the team!  Dr. Mattox, with your
permission, I am going to have "Stress is the pabulum of productivity"
emblazoned on the residency program handbook!