helicopter landing pad

Timothy J Coats trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:29:59 BST

Valerie,
One reference is:
Deakin C. Davies G. Defining trauma patient subpopulations for field
stabilization. [Journal Article] European Journal of Emergency
Medicine. 1(1):31-3, 1994 Mar.

Not sure if it will help much as the conclusion pretty much was that the relationship
between pre-hospital time and outcome was difficult to establish - it seemed as if pre-
hospital time was not related to outcome BUT there are a lot of possible confounders
in this type of study (such as pre-hospital teams hurrying more with the more
severly injured patients). It may be difficult to make an argument based on a time
saving of a few minutes.

I would suggest that the location of the helipad is more about ease of use than time.
It needs to be within easy 'trolley push' distance, or else you start needing an
ambulance to get from helipad to Emergency Room (which is unfortunately the
current situation at most hospitals in London). A reasonable 'trolley push' distance
is probably up to 100 meters (and should be under cover - but perhaps the weather
in Australia makes this less of a consideration!).

Tim.