The Paediatric GCS is scored between 3 and
15, 3 being the worst, and 15 the best. It is composed of three parameters
: Best Eye Response, Best Verbal Response, Best Motor Response, as
given below :
- Best Eye Response. (4)
- No eye opening.
- Eye opening to pain.
- Eye opening to verbal command.
- Eyes open spontaneously.
- Best Verbal Response. (5)
- No vocal response
- Inconsolable, agitated
- Inconsistently consolable, moaning.
- Cries but is consolable, inappropriate interactions.
- Smiles, oriented to sounds, follows objects, interacts.
- Best Motor Response. (6)
- No motor response.
- Extension to pain.
- Flexion to pain.
- Withdrawal from pain.
- Localising pain.
- Obeys Commands.
Note that the phrase 'GCS of 11' is essentially meaningless, and
it is important to break the figure down into its components, such
as E3V3M5 = GCS 11.
A Coma Score of 13 or higher correlates with a mild brain injury,
9 to 12 is a moderate injury and 8 or less a severe brain injury.